Remove websearch.searchsunmy.info virus (Removal guide)
Download Spyware Doctor To Remove This Virus "Spyware Doctor delivers powerful protection against spyware and adware threats. Spyware Doctor is honored by many of the world’s leading PC mags, including PC World, PC Magazine, and CNET."
Remove websearch.searchsunmy.info virus (Removal guide)
Websearch.searchsunmy.info is a browser hijacker that is typically loaded onto your computer without your knowledge. It takes less than desirable actions without your permission, for example, it changes the configuration of your web browser to go to unwanted search engines (WebSearch). It also displays unsolicited advertisements and redirects users to pay per click networks. It may collect information about your browsing habits that’s why browser hijackers technically come under the nomenclature of spyware. Needless to say, you are better off without it. This guide will walk you through removing all traces of websearch.searchsunmy.info virus from your computer and web browsers.
Once installed, this browser hijacker will add a few browser add-ons that and make a bunch of changes to Windows registry. It will install at least five unwanted programs on your computer to remain as long as possible on the system. The programs are: Search Assistant WebSearch, SearchNewTab, Sk-Enabler, Sk-Supporter, Surf and keep and AppLow. To restore your browser’s settings you will have to uninstall all these applications from your computer and then manually change certain preferences. Although it may sound complicated, it’s actually easy when you know how and what has to be changed. To learn more, please see the removal guide below.
How do I keep browser hijackers from infecting my computer? It is commonly bundled with free programs that you download off of the Internet. Be very careful what you download and install onto your computer. Disreputable download websites attach browser hijackers and adware to the “free” software they require to use their services. My web browsers got infected by Websearch.searchsunmy.info browser hijacker when I downloaded a few files from a rather shady website. It had its own file downloader which offered me to install a few applications along the way and that’s how I ended up with this browser hijacker on my machine. The downloader is detected mostly as ADWARE/InstallRex.Gen or PUP.Optional.InstalleRex as well as some other variants, see here. My advice would be that unless you are certain that a program or piece of software is completely trustworthy, do not download or install it on your computer.
It’s very important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything. Spending a little bit more on your kitchen tools will save you time and headache in the long run.Trust me, reading the the license agreements carefully will save you time and headache in the long run. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed and allow you to opt out of them. If you can’t seem to get rid of websearch.searchsunmy.info, please leave a comment below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Websearch.searchsunmy.info removal instructions:
1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this infection. Hopefully you won’t have to do that.
2. Remove websearch.searchsunmy.info related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel”.
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following programs:
- Search Assistant WebSearch
- Surf and keep
If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you’re done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove websearch.searchsunmy.info from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove the BookmarkTube 0.9 extension.
3. Then select Settings. Scroll down the page and click Show advanced settings.
4. Find the Reset browser settings section and click Reset browser settings button.
5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. That’s it!
Remove websearch.searchsunmy.info from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Remove greiaotsaver 2.7 and SearchNewTab 1.0 browser extensions. Close Add-ons manger.
3. In the URL address bar, type about:config and hit Enter.
Click I’ll be careful, I promise! to continue.
In the search filter at the top, type: searchsunmy
Now, you should see all the preferences that were changed by websearch.searchsunmy.info. Right-click on the preference and select Reset to restore default value. Reset all found preferences!
Remove websearch.searchsunmy.info from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons.
2. Select Search Providers. First of all, choose Live Search search engine and make it your default web search provider (Set as default).
3. Select WebSearch and click Remove to remove it. Close the window.